Don't wait for your next high bill. Get real-time notifications of water waste!
What is the Flowmeter Pilot Rebate Program?
The Flowmeter Pilot Rebate Program promotes water conservation and water saving opportunities by encouraging the use of flow measuring devices which gives customers information about their water use, potential leaks, and incidences of high water use. While your EBMUD water bill gives you water usage information every one or two months, this program offers rebates for a newer set of internet-connected or cellular-connected remote flow sensing technologies that can monitor usage in near real-time. These new devices are known as smart flowmeters. This program is open to all EBMUD customers.
What is a flowmeter?
Flowmeters accurately measure water use through your plumbing. These new smart flowmeters report water use and send customizable alerts through a convenient web portal or mobile app. Customers can see their water use down to a fraction of a gallon and usage as frequent as every minute, keeping you informed of overall water use, potential high water use, or suspected leaks. This can help alert you to leaks that could be damaging your home or high water use that could drive up your water bill.
Some flowmeters can be installed right on the existing EBMUD water meter, but some must be installed directly in-line in water pipes. In-line flowmeters can be used to monitor specific water usages such as your irrigation or indoor use. In-line flowmeters typically require minor plumbing changes to be installed.
How much is our rebate?
- EBMUD offers a rebate of up to 50 percent of the total cost of the flowmeter purchase (excluding taxes and installation) - up to $200 per device. The rebate is limited to one-device per service address, including other submeters offered by separate EBMUD rebates. If applicable, the rebate can cover up to two-years of pre-paid service. Multiple rebates may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- EBMUD will issue a rebate credit on the customer water bill within 8 weeks after verification of flowmeter installation and completion of required forms.
Tax Notice: All residential rebates that, individually or in combination, total $600 or more in a tax year require submittal of a W-9 form to the District prior to payment. All personal information provided within the W-9 are kept confidential in accordance with the Privacy Act. If your total rebate amount is $600 or more, you will receive a 1099 form to comply with Internal Revenue Service requirements. The determination of whether your rebate is taxable or not may depend on several variables. We recommend contacting your tax professional for more information.
1. Eligible flowmeters must:
- Measure account's total water usage at least hourly and report water usage on a web portal.
- Have a web portal or software application that gives EBMUD access
to consumption data.
- Meet requirements in the Flowmeter Participant Agreement if the flowmeter is attached to the EBMUD meter.
- Be designed for at least two years of continuous operation.
- Be installed on an active EBMUD water service location.
2. The flowmeter must be installed on an active EBMUD water service location.
3. Property owner agrees to keep the flowmeter installed for a minimum of 2 years. If the device is removed or becomes unusable for whatever reason, or the account becomes inactive, the owner shall reimburse EBMUD a prorated amount of the conservation incentive, based on a 24-month commitment.
4. If the flowmeter is installed on the EBMUD meter, it must not interfere with the operation of the EBMUD meter as described in the Flowmeter Participant Agreement.
How to apply
Step 1. After reviewing and verifying eligibility requirements, fill out the flowmeter rebate application.
Step 2. Send EBMUD the completed application along with the original receipts and a photo of installation within 90 days of purchase. A photo of newly installed equipment and settings is typically sufficient for approval. EBMUD may at its discretion verify installation.
Step 4. EBMUD will provide residential applicants with combined rebates that total more than $600 a W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. The completed form must be returned to EBMUD.
Step 5. EBMUD will issue a rebate credit on the customer water bill within 8 weeks after verification of flowmeter installation and if applicable, completion of W-9 form.
Sample product lines are listed below. Please check to confirm selected products meet EBMUD requirements before purchasing. Other devices may be added to this list as they become available.
- Flume (on meter)
- Flo by MOEN
- Hydropoint Water Compass (on meter)
- Innov8-VN by Metron-Farnier (cellular)
- Phyn Plus
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you have 90 days to submit the application and photos of your installation.
Any flowmeter that meets the requirements described above and on the front page of the application form.
All residential rebates that, individually or in combination, total $600 or more in a tax year require submittal of a W-9 form to the District prior to payment. All personal information provided within the W-9 is kept confidential in accordance with the Privacy Act.
If your total rebate amount is $600 or more, you will receive a 1099 form to comply with Internal Revenue Service requirements. The determination of whether your rebate is taxable or not may depend on several variables. We recommend that you contact your tax professional.
The limit is up to $200/device per account. Multiple devices will be considered on a case-by-case basis.