Don't wait for your next high bill. Get real-time notifications of water waste!
"I love my flowmeter! Within a day of installation, it notified me about a slow leak from a toilet that we rarely use, and a big leak from a ruptured sprinkler pipe hidden under a bed of ivy. Taking only minutes to install, a flowmeter should be on every homeowner’s must-have list."
- Norm from Orinda
What is the Flowmeter Rebate Program?
The Flowmeter Rebate Program promotes flow-sensing technologies that provide information about water use, including potential leaks and other unusual use. The program offers a rebate for devices that can monitor water use in near real-time, compared to the use information that you get every one or two months from your EBMUD water bill. The program is open to all EBMUD customers.
What is a flowmeter?
Flowmeters measure and report water use down to a fraction of a gallon, with updates as frequent as every minute. Flowmeters can alert you to leaks that could damage your home and drive up your water bill. They can be configured to send alerts through a web portal or mobile app.
Some flowmeters can be installed on the existing EBMUD water meter, but others must be installed in-line in water pipes. In-line flowmeters can be used to monitor specific water use, such as indoors or in an irrigation system. In-line flowmeters typically require minor plumbing work to install.
How much is our rebate?
- EBMUD offers a rebate of up to 50% of the price of the flowmeter (excluding taxes and installation). If applicable, up to two years of prepaid service may be included in calculating the rebate amount. The maximum rebate is $200 per device. The rebate is limited to one device per service address, including other submeters offered by separate EBMUD rebates. Applications for multiple devices for one service address will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- EBMUD will issue a rebate credit on the customer's water bill within two billing cycles of rebate approval, after verification of flowmeter installation and receipt of required documentation.
Tax Notice: All residential rebates that, individually or in combination, total $600 or more in a tax year require submittal of a W-9 form to the District prior to payment. All personal information provided within the W-9 is kept confidential in accordance with the Privacy Act. If your total rebate amount is $600 or more, you will receive a 1099 form to comply with Internal Revenue Service requirements. The determination of whether your rebate is taxable may depend on several variables. We recommend contacting your tax professional for more information.
What are the eligibility requirements?
1. Eligible flowmeters must possess the following features:
- Measure account's total water use at least hourly and report water use on a web portal.
- Have a web portal or software application that gives EBMUD access to consumption data.
- Meet requirements described in the Flowmeter Participant Agreement if the flowmeter is attached to the EBMUD meter.
- Be designed for at least two years of continuous operation.
2. The flowmeter must be installed on an active EBMUD water service location.
3. The flowmeter must be installed for a minimum of two years. If the device is removed or becomes unusable for whatever reason, or if the account becomes inactive, the rebate recipient shall reimburse EBMUD a prorated amount of the rebate, based on a two-year commitment.
4. If the flowmeter is installed on the EBMUD meter, it must not interfere with the operation of the EBMUD meter as described in the Flowmeter Participant Agreement.
How to apply
Step 1. After reviewing and verifying eligibility requirements, fill out the flowmeter rebate application.
Step 2. Within 90 days of purchase, send EBMUD the completed application along with the receipt and a photo of the installation. A photo of newly installed equipment and settings is typically sufficient for approval. EBMUD may at its discretion verify installation.
Step 3. For on-meter installations, submit an executed Flowmeter Participant Agreement along with the application, receipt, and photo.
Step 4. EBMUD will provide a W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification to residential applicants with combined rebates that total more than $600 in a tax year. The completed form must be returned to EBMUD before the rebate can be approved.
Step 5. EBMUD will issue a rebate credit on the customer's water bill within two billing cycles of rebate approval.
Sample product lines are listed below. Other devices may be added to this list as they become available. Please confirm that selected products meet EBMUD requirements before purchasing.
- AlertLabs (on meter, cellular)
- Flume (on meter)
- Flo by MOEN
- Hydropoint Water Compass (on meter)
- Innov8-VN by Metron-Farnier (cellular)
- Phyn Plus
- StreamLabs Water
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you have 90 days from purchase to submit the application.
Any flowmeter that meets the requirements described above and on the front page of the application form is eligible for the rebate.
All residential rebates that, individually or in combination, total $600 or more in a tax year require submittal of a W-9 form to the District prior to payment. All personal information provided within the W-9 is kept confidential in accordance with the Privacy Act.
If your total rebate amount is $600 or more, you will receive a 1099 form to comply with Internal Revenue Service requirements. The determination of whether your rebate is taxable or not may depend on several variables. We recommend that you contact your tax professional.
The maximum rebate is $200 per device per account. Applications for multiple devices will be considered on a case-by-case basis.