Billing questions

On this page you can read answers to the most frequently asked bill-related questions.

You may pay online using a credit card, ATM card or electronic check using one of our approved third party providers to collect and process payments.

There are many reasons for increases in your water use which may result in a higher bill. If you have a higher than normal bill, you should consider the following possibilities:

Potential Water Leak 

Water leaks occur in one out of every four households and can be cause by appliances (toilet, hot water heater, clothes washer, etc.) or outdoor leaks in your houseline or sprinkler system. Leaks are costly and require immediate attention; if unattended leaks can get worse and cause property damage and very high water bills. Learn more about how to check your home or business for leaks.

Water Use Considerations

  • Increased use from additional watering due to warmer weather
  • Additional occupants in the household
  • Home improvements, remodeling
  • Installation of new landscape
  • Irrigation timer reset to daily watering due to power outages
  • Filling or refilling of a swimming pool  

All of the above may contribute to higher use. You can view your use history to determine if your use is higher than normal. Go to Manage Your Account and establish a login. Reminder: Customers were required to reduce water use by 20 percent during the drought (2015-2016). Also keep in mind seasonal fluctuations when comparing your use.

Change in Rates

Annual changes in rates and charges including City sewer service charges. Sewer service charges are billed on behalf of and for City agencies through EBMUD’s water bill. For some cities, the charge is based on the amount of water used.

Change in Meter

If your previous meter was running slow and not capturing all of your use, you may see an increase in use that is more reflective of your actual use. Use our water-use calculator and determine your use based on your water needs. You can also read your meter more frequently to determine the impacts on your water use. Click here to learn how to read your meter

How can EBMUD assist?

Visit Understanding your bill to view a detailed description of the fees and charges listed on your EBMUD bill. 

Sewer Service Charges
Charges are collected by EBMUD on behalf of cities in our service area to pay for the use and maintenance of city sewer lines. For more information, please contact the city listed on your bill. 

Bill assistance
EBMUD offers its Customer Assistance Program (CAP) to assist low-income residential customers and eligible homeless shelters with a discount on their bimonthly water bill. To qualify for this benefit, applicants must complete the CAP application available here.  

  • Eligible customers may qualify for 50 percent off of the standard bimonthly service charge and 50 percent off of the home water use in each eligible household, up to a maximum of 1,050 gallons per person per month.
  • A 35 percent discount on EBMUD wastewater service charge and flow charges collected will be applied to the account.

Payment extensions
Request a payment extension or make payment arrangements with EBMUD. Login to your account and select 'Request Services - Payment Extensions' or call Customer Service at 1-866-403-2683 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Learn more about our financial assistance programs.  

Tip for managing your bill: Did you know you can pay half of your bill monthly instead of the full amount every two months? Some customers split their water bill into two payments instead one every other month. When your water bill arrives, you can pay half of your water bill one month, and the remaining balance the next month.

You can manage your account or view your bill history online. All current customers must activate their online account by providing their account number, last name and email address.

If you are unable to access your bill history, you may call 1-866-403-2683 or email Customer service is available during business hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

If you are a first-time EBMUD customer, go to My Account and select Start Water Service. If you need help setting up service at your new address, call 1-866-40-EBMUD or 1-866-403-2683 during business hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

To transfer service from one address to another within the EBMUD service area, log onto My Account to stop your existing water service. Then follow the Start Water Service instructions as listed above.

No. Currently, the option to start water service online is limited to single family residences. Please call 1-866-403-2683 during business hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

EBMUD water meters are usually by the street near the curb.  They are usually in the ground under a cement cover with an EBMUD logo. Get more information about reading your meter.

You may be unable to "Manage your account" for one of the following reasons:

  • The account has already been registered. Please click Login using your email address and password.
  • The account number you entered is incorrect or isn’t the required 11-digit number.
  • The last name doesn’t match what is listed on the account.
  • The account is inactive.

Your 11-digit account number is located on the upper right corner of the bill. If you can’t find your bill, please call 1-866-403-2683 during business hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

Update your email by logging in with your old email address and password. Enter your new email address on the Account Info tab and click Submit.

 Water Leaks 

EBMUD is responsible for the repair of leaks on the street side of the meter and for repairing the meter itself, including the threads on the customer's side of the meter. Any pipe repairs on the customer's side of the meter are the customer's responsibility. EBMUD is not able to provide recommendations for specific plumbers or advise you about specific repairs for your home.

To assist customers, EBMUD is providing information about optional coverage plans, offered by third-party providers to customers within the District’s service area, to help offset the cost if emergency repairs to private water service lines occur. Enrolling in coverage is strictly optional and the decision of individual customers. Learn more about optional private water serve line plans. 

High water bills may also be due to frequent watering of a new or existing lawn or landscape, a faulty irrigation timer, filling a swimming pool, an increase in the number of occupants or employees in a household or business, water theft, open faucets or irrigation systems.

  • Check your meter. Your reading should be a bit higher than what is shown on your bill, because you have been using water since we have issued your bill.
  • Second, review your bi-monthly statements to compare your usage to the same time last year. Look at the difference in usage, not just the total monthly amount.

Also consider the following causes that may increase your bill: 

  • Irrigation or outdoor watering
  • Seasonal changes, such as summer heat
  • New appliance
  • Added bathroom
  • Toilet leaks
  • Spending more time at home 

More water-saving strategies

  • Visit the WaterSmart Center 
  • Request a free Do-It-Yourself Home Survey Kit. 
  • Additional questions on water use? After completing the Home Survey Kit, you can contact EBMUD to request an on-site audit. An EBMUD Water Conservation Representative will come out to discuss your indoor and outdoor water use and provide recommendations. Please complete the Home Survey Kit before requesting an on-site water audit. Email: or call 1-866-403-2683. 

Yes. Alameda County Housing and Community Development provides relief for minor plumbing repairs for customers in Alameda, Albany, Emeryville, Hayward, Oakland, Piedmont, Castro Valley, San Lorenzo and some unincorporated areas. Call 510-670-5398 or visit their website at