What is the Customer Assistance Program?
EBMUD offers a Customer Assistance Program (CAP) to help pay a portion of the water bill for qualified low-income residential customers and eligible homeless shelters.
Residential Dwelling Units
- Eligible customers may qualify for 50 percent off of the standard bimonthly service charge and 50 percent off of the home water use in each eligible household, up to a maximum of 1,050 gallons per person per month.
- A 35 percent discount on EBMUD wastewater service charge and flow charges collected will be applied to the account.
- Eligible customers may qualify for 50 percent off of the meter charge (based on meter size), and 50 percent off of the water usage per client, up to a maximum of 1,050 gallons per person per month.
- A 35 percent discount on EBMUD wastewater service charge and flow charges collected will be applied to the homeless shelter account.
Criteria and Guidelines
The dwelling unit must be a single unit for receiving water service, have an individual water meter, and be the primary residence of the applicant. Customers must meet the following requirements:
|Number of Persons in Household||Maximum Gross Annual Household Income|
|* For each additional household member, add $5,500 to the gross annual income limit.|
|1-2||$54,800 or less|
|3||$61,650 or less|
|4||$68,500 or less|
|5||$74,000 or less|
|6*||$79,500 or less|
Participation is valid for two years. To continue assistance, applicants must reapply. The program is not retroactive.
The organization must provide lodging and meals as its primary function and have the required City or County Health Department permits. The organization must provide at least six beds and be open for a minimum of 180 days or nights per year. Government-owned facilities are not eligible. Satellite facilities in the name of the main organization are eligible but must file separately.
The organization must be able to demonstrate IRS tax-exempt status under IRS Code 501(c)(3). The water account must be in the name of the organization with the IRS tax exemption.
Participation in CAP is for a maximum of one year. To continue assistance, organization must reapply and demonstrate how the subsidy benefited its clients.
How to apply
- NEW FEATURE: To apply for CAP online, click here.
- Download application (below) to return by mail, email or fax.
- Call Customer Service at 866-403-2683 during business hours
(Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.), select "1" then "3" (1 is for English and 3 is for CAP) to request an application via mail
- Pick up an application in person at the EBMUD Customer Information Desk at 375 11th St., Oakland (ground floor)
Submit completed applications and required documentation:
by email to:
or by U.S. Mail to:
P.O. Box 24055
MS 42 (CAP)
Oakland, CA 94623
or by fax to:
Other Ways EBMUD Can Help
- Payment extensions: You may request a payment extension or make payment arrangements.
- Visit our WaterSmart Center to learn ways you can save water and reduce your water bill.
NEW FEATURE: To apply for CAP online, click here.
Customer Assistance Program Brochure and Application Forms
|Customer Assistance Program Brochure||1.3 MB|
|CAP Application Form||<1 MB|
|Programa_De_Ayuda_Al_Cliente_CAP_Aplicacion (Spanish)||<1 MB|
|客戶協助計劃 (CAP) 申請表.||1.2 MB|
|Chương trình Hỗ trợ Khách hàng (CAP) Đơn ghi danh cho Khách hàng Cư dân (Vietnamese)||<1 MB|
|Programa ng Pagtulong sa Kostumer (Tagalog)||<1 MB|
|고객 지원 프로그램(CAP) 일반 가정 고객용 신청서 (Korean)||<1 MB|
|CAP Application Form - Homeless Shelters||<1 MB|