Financial relief for customers behind on water bills during pandemic

Pandemic Financial Relief More financial relief!

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). What services are available?

The new federal Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) provides financial assistance to low-income Californians to help manage their residential water utility costs. Established by Congress in December 2020, this federally f​unded program helps low-income households pay down their outstanding residential water or wastewater bills. California has been allocated $116 million in one​-time funding to provide LIHWAP assistance. ​

The Department of Community Services and Development (CSD) is the designated administering agency for LIHWAP in Ca​​lifornia. Through LIHWAP, CSD works with a network of community-based local service providers to help low-income households pay down their outstanding residential ​water and wastewater utility bills.​

For more information about how LIHWAP can help your household pay down your past due water or wastewater bills and how to apply visit LIHWAP Find Assistance​.​

If you qualify for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) you may also qualify for up to $2,000 in assistance to pay your overdue water and wastewater bill under the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). To be eligible:

  • You must be past due on your water and/or wastewater bill.
  • Your water and/or wastewater provider (such as EBMUD and ACWD) must be a LIHWAP participant.
  • You must be able to provide a Government-issued photo ID.
Alameda County customers- SpectrumCS - June 2022

Contact Spectrum to apply to both LIHEAP and LIHWAP at the same time. For the supplemental application form and to check eligibility, speak to a customer service representative after June 1, 2022 call 510-881-0300. Visit for more information.

Contra Costa County customers - July 2022

For information please contact (925) 267-6624.

Contact the Community Services Bureau in Contra Costa County to apply for the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP).

State Water Board’s California Water and Wastewater Arrearage Payment Program (CWWAPP)

EBMUD recently applied over $13 million in relief to our water customers facing financial hardship from the pandemic as the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) . This funding was made possible through $985 million in federal funds allocated by the California State Legislature.

The relief was automatically applied to households and commercial customers hardest hit by the pandemic, covering drinking water debt accrued between March 4, 2020 to June 15, 2021. Eligible customers will be receiving a letter notifying them of the credit amount.

EBMUD applied funds in February 2022 through July 2, 2022 as a credit directly to eligible customer accounts.

Since the relief fund covers a portion of the debt, customers are being encouraged to call EBMUD at 1-866-403-2683 (Monday-Friday, between 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) to make payment arrangements for any unpaid balance.

EBMUD also offers a Customer Assistance Program, which provides up to a 50 percent credit on water bills and 35 percent credit on wastewater bills, as well as payment plans for account balances. For more information, please visit

“These two types of funding will go a long way to help East Bay customers,” said Andrew Lee, EBMUD Director of Customer and Community Services. “The pandemic highlighted the importance of water in protecting our community and preserving public health. We know the financial struggles are real and we’re making every effort to support our customers in need.”