Program Now Extended thru March 31, 2024!
You can receive up to $15,000 assistance to pay your overdue water and wastewater bill!
Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP).
The federal Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) provides financial assistance to low-income Californians to help manage their residential water utility costs. Established by Congress in December 2020, this federally funded program helps low-income households pay down their outstanding residential water or wastewater bills. California has been allocated $116 million in one-time funding to provide LIHWAP assistance.
The Department of Community Services and Development (CSD) is the designated administering agency for LIHWAP in California. Through LIHWAP, CSD works with a network of community-based local service providers to help low-income households pay down their outstanding residential water and wastewater utility bills.
For more information about how LIHWAP can help your household pay down your past due water or wastewater bills and how to apply visit LIHWAP Find Assistance.
If you qualify for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) you may also qualify for up to $15,000 in assistance to pay your overdue water and wastewater bill under the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). To be eligible:
- Your water and/or wastewater provider (such as EBMUD and ACWD) must be a LIHWAP participant.
- You must be able to provide a government-issued photo ID.
LIHWAP residential customers are also PRE-QUALIFIED for the EBMUD Customer Assistance Program.
Alameda County customers:
Contact Spectrum to apply to both LIHWAP and LIHEAP at the same time. For the supplemental application form and to check eligibility, speak to a customer service representative call 510-881-0300.
- How to Apply: https://spectrumcs.org/energy-services/lihwap
- English Application Packet
- Aplicación en Español- Solo agua
- 中文申請表 - 只要水費補助
- 한국 신청 - 물만
- تطبيق عربي - ماء فقط
- برنامه فارسی - فقط آب
- Ứng dụng Việt Nam- Water Only
- Aplikasyon ng Tagalog- Tubig Lamang
- हिंदी एप्लीकेशन- केवल पानी
- 日本出願 - 水のみ
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਐਪਲੀਕੇਸ਼ਨ- ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਪਾਣੀ
- Русское приложение - только вода
Contra Costa County customers:
Contact the Contra Costa County Community Services Bureau to apply for the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP).
- LIHWAP Application Packet - call 925-267-6624 to have a packet sent to you.