Trail use permits
Thank you for your interest in obtaining an EBMUD Trail Use Permit. Permits are required for your safety. Your information will be kept confidential unless needed for search and rescue or security purposes.
- Trail Use Permits can be issued to only one person.
- Permit holders may take their immediate family members plus three guests for whose conduct the Permittee shall be held responsible.
- Trail permits are not required to hike the Lafayette Reservoir Rim or Lakeside Trail.
- Trail users should carry drinking water, hike or ride with at least one other person and report unsafe conditions or other hazards to EBMUD.
- View East Bay trails or Sierra foothills trails to download trail maps or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to request a map by mail.
- After checkout, you can download or print your permit.
Trail leader permits
To apply for or renew a Trail Leader permit, please email Watershed & Recreation or call 510-287-0459 for the East Bay trails or 209-772-8204 for the Mokelumne area trails.
Trail use rules and conditions
Trail permit holders can take members of their immediate family and 3 guests. Permits are not transferable.
To view complete trail use rules and conditions, please visit the Rules and regulations page.
Purchase trail use permit
- $3.00 for 1 day
- $10.00 for 1 year (or $0.00 - see chart below for more information on our no-cost permit option)
- $20.00 for 3 years
- $30.00 for 5 years
To qualify for a no-cost, one-year trail use permit, customers will be requested to certify that they meet the following income requirements:
|Number of Persons in Household||Maximum Gross Annual Household Income|
|1-2||$59,200 or less|
|3||$66,600 or less|
|4||$73,950 or less|
|5||$79,900 or less|
|6*||$85,800 or less|
*For each additional household member, add $5,900 to the gross annual income limit.
To purchase the no-cost permit, please download, complete and mail the paper application found here: https://www.ebmud.com/recreation/east-bay/east-bay-trails (scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Trail Use Permit Application). Questions? Please contact us at (510) 287-0459.