EBMUD offers a variety of ways for students, teachers, community groups and volunteers to join in the stewardship and protection of our 57,100 acres of our water and lands.
Get involved in maintaining 90 miles of trails by joining the EBMUD Mokelumne Volunteer Program (MVP), or participate in other stewardship efforts, such as sign repair, cleanups, bird watching, guided hikes and historical talks.
Be a MVP
EBMUD’s Mokelumne Volunteer Program (MVP) invites you to help with projects that protect and enhance land- and public-use facilities in Calaveras, Amador and San Joaquin Counties. Volunteers assist in land stewardship and help maintain trails, parks and historic sites while learning about how EBMUD manages and maintains the Mokelumne watershed. Our volunteers tell us time and again what a positive experience it is to spend the day working outdoors on such worthwhile projects.
The MVP provides many ways to participate:
- Volunteer workdays: Volunteers plant trees, clear brush from trails, repair or replace signs and prune shrubs while learning about natural and cultural resources. Volunteers usually work a six-hour shift from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm under a Ranger/Naturalist.
- Docent support: Under the direction of a Ranger/Naturalist, volunteers who have strong subject-matter knowledge can assist as docents during tours, Ranger-Led Environmental Education Programs (RLEEP) and Stewardship Through Education programs.
- Research: Some projects or activities require detailed research. Volunteers may provide information for written reports or maps or help with cataloguing historical items.
Volunteers who contribute 20 hours or more in a calendar year receive the following:
- a certificate of appreciation
- 50 percent off the entrance fee at Pardee and Camanche Recreation Areas
- a complimentary one-year trail use permit
- an invitation to the annual volunteer awards luncheon
- a volunteer t-shirt
- first priority reservations to popular events such as the Bald Eagle tours, wildflower hikes, bat viewing tours and Native American cave painting tours
- participation pins are given for 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, 15 years and 20 years of service.
To receive notifications about upcoming volunteer opportunities, send us an email and provide your name and phone number or contact Ranger Justin Mynk at 209-772-8259. Check our events calendar here to view all events.