EBMUD offers a variety of internship and training programs for young adults and adults to promote careers in water and wastewater services.
High School Internships
Each summer, EBMUD welcomes high school students from throughout the EBMUD service area to participate in our high school internship programs. These programs run for 6-weeks from mid-June through July. Students work approximately 15 hours per week and receive paid stipends.
For our Virtual Internship Program (VIP), students will be placed in teams to research and develop solutions for water and wastewater projects. The program includes weekly career exploration activities or site tours. Typically, internship positions are in areas such as administration, communications, engineering, IT and trades.
For our Traditional In-Person Program (TRIPP), students will be placed in an on-site internship at an EBMUD worksite. Schedules will vary depending on internship placement/ location but all intern schedules will be between Monday and Friday, during normal EBMUD business/operation hours. Participating interns must provide written proof of COVID vaccination. Those with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons may be exempted. All interns must follow all EBMUD workplace health and safety precautions.
Applications for the Summer 2023 High School Internship are expected to open in January 2023. When the application is open, a link to it will be posted on this page.
High School Internship partners
- Biotech Partners - Open to Berkeley High, Oakland Tech, Antioch and San Marin High students.
- College Track Oakland - Open to Oakland Unified School District high school students.
- Oakland Unified School District (Exploring College and Career Options) - Open to Oakland Unified School District high school students.
- West Contra Costa Unified School District - Open to West Contra Costa Unified School District high school students.
Peralta Colleges Foundation - Open to all high school students and graduating seniors in the EBMUD service area.
- Students are not required to attend a school in the Peralta Community College District in order to qualify for a high school internship through Peralta Colleges Foundation.
College and Trades Internships
EBMUD offers non-permanent paid work experience. These temporary positions will be paid either through EBMUD or through community/educational partners via stipend. Interns/Aides may advance into regular EBMUD staff positions by successfully competing for such positions through EBMUD's Civil Service recruitment processes.
- Industrial Maintenance/ Machining Intern (must attend Laney College or Chabot College Machine Technology Programs to be eligible)
- Instrumentation Technician Intern (must attend Los Medanos College ETEC Program to be eligible)
Openings for the following positions will be posted on EBMUD's Job Opportunities Page as they become available:
- Student Intern
- Human Resources Intern I/II (recruitment is open through November 11, 2022 - Apply Here)
- Engineering Aide (For students in the UC Berkeley CE112 Class - recruitment open through January 1, 2023 – Apply Here)
The following opportunities are planned. More information will be provided soon:
- Web Design/Development Intern
- Ranger/Naturalist Intern
- Junior Engineering Aide
- Software Engineer Intern
For any questions regarding our internship opportunities or to discuss becoming a partner with the District, please contact the Diversity and Inclusion Office by telephone at 510-287-0710 or by email at email@example.com.
EBMUD partners with Toolworks, an organization dedicated to assisting individuals with disabilities, to provide internship opportunities at EBMUD headquarters and other worksites. Details to come.
EBMUD offers temporary training programs for positions that prepare trainees for regular EBMUD staff positions. Trainees meet skill-development milestones within specified timelines. Successful trainees will progress to higher-level/permanent positions at the District. Opportunities include:
- Maintenance Trades (Class titles: Machining and Maintenance Worker II, Electrical Worker II, Instrument Worker II, and Plant Maintenance Worker II)
- Pipeline Plumbing (Class title: Water Distribution Plumber I)
- Water Treatment Operator (Class title: Water Treatment/Distribution Operator Trainee)
- Wastewater Treatment Operator (Class title: Wastewater Plant Operator Trainee)
- Ranger/Naturalist I
For questions regarding the above training programs or to apply for these opportunities, please see our jobs page.