East Bay Trails
Shimmering lakes, wooded glens and bright sunflowers can be enjoyed along 80 miles of EBMUD trails in the East Bay. These hiking and horseback-riding paths go through 27,000 acres of open space. EBMUD provides parking at five staging areas and stocks water on the trails for horses. EBMUD manages watershed lands to protect water quality. For this reason, trail users must follow use rules and have permits.
How to Purchase Trail Use Permits
- Purchase and print trail use permits online.
- Download an application and send it in with your payment to EBMUD.
Obtain applications for a permit at:
- Watershed Headquarters in Orinda (925) 254-3778 or (510) 287-0459
- Various EBMUD locations or other community locations (see list below)
- Daily permits must be purchased in person at either Watershed Headquarters in Orinda (Monday-Friday), or at Lafayette Reservoir Recreation Area (open 7 days a week).
- To apply for a Trail Leader permit, you must be endorsed by one of the Endorsers for EBMUD Trail Leader Permits prior to submitting your application. Endorser groups include hiking clubs, horsemen's associations, and various other groups.
Answers to Commonly Asked Questions
- Dogs are allowed on the following East Bay trails: Oursan Trail, Hampton Trail and Kings Canyon Loop. Dogs must be kept on-leash at all times. No dogs are allowed on EBMUD trails in the Mokelumne River/Sierra foothills area.
- Permits cost $2.50/day, $10.00/1 year, $20.00/3 years, $30.00/5 years.
- Trail permit holders can take members of their immediate family and 3 guests. Permits are NOT transferable.
- Bikes are not allowed on any unpaved road or trail.
For more information about EBMUD trails, e-mail email@example.com.