Dual Service allows for one oversized water meter, combining both domestic use and fire protection for single-family residences and some multi-family residences (as approved by the local fire marshal) in lieu of a domestic water meter and dedicated private fire service. The California Building Code requires automatic fire sprinkler systems in all new construction. A dedicated private fire service is required for all commercial buildings and other multi-family residential buildings as determined by your local fire marshal.
Disclaimer: Applicants for new water service will find this information helpful to understand the process of applying for a new combination water and fire service (dual service). These charges and fees are presented only as guidelines for cost estimates. Final quotations will not be issued until a properly completed application is submitted. All applications for water service are subject to review and approval by EBMUD. All requests for preliminary estimates or quotations must include an address, accurate location of the parcel to be served, and the proposed use of the premises. Availability of an existing main, unusual installation conditions and contaminated soil conditions may increase your final cost.
How to Apply for Dual Service
STEP 1: Applicant provides:
- Applicant and owner contact information
- Address and parcel number of property to be served
- Number of meters required
- Size of service required or total flow (in gallons per minute/gpm) required
- Building permit number or grading permit number
- Name, address and telephone number of plumbing and fire service contractor
- Water Demand and Efficiency - The Water Demand and Efficiency Form helps EBMUD determine the domestic demand for your property. A dual service has a larger meter than a standard domestic service to meet the flow demand for fire protection.
- Hydrant/Fire Service/Dual Service Requirements form signed by the local fire marshal
- Applicant Checklist
- Site Plan with meter location shown
- Existing site environmental data (if available)
- Water Efficiency Requirements Checklist - EBMUD works with new customers to help ensure a reliable water supply for the next generation. To support water conservation goals, water service will be furnished to applicants for new or expanded service only when all applicable water-efficiency measures are installed at applicant expense.
Apply online at wsa.ebmud.com.
STEP 2: EBMUD provides cost estimate
EBMUD calculates cost of water service(s) and sends estimate to applicant.
STEP 3: Applicant remits payment
Applicant pays installation fee either in person or by mail. The applicant must pay all charges before the job will be scheduled. Please call the New Business Office to schedule an appointment to pay in person.
STEP 4: EBMUD obtains permit
EBMUD applies for either a city, county or state encroachment permit for street work at your site.
STEP 5: EBMUD installs meter
After receiving the encroachment permit, EBMUD schedules the meter installation.
A service for both domestic use and fire protection (dual service) has a larger lateral and meter than a standard domestic service to meet the flow demand for fire prevention. The standard lateral size is 1-1/2" and the meter size for dual service depends on the domestic demand for your property and flow demand for fire prevention, but is typically 1” to 1-1/2”. The Meter Size Worksheet helps EBMUD determine your new meter size(s). Your contractor or a qualified plumber should be consulted regarding your particular service requirements.
Installation of your new service will be completed within 6 to 8 weeks after receipt of full payment and required encroachment permit, if applicable. Note: Installation time is contingent on District work load, project size, and site conditions. During peak season, completion schedule may be impacted.
The cost of service depends on the size of the water meter, type of service, and location of the property. The total cost will be the sum of the following:
- Installation Fee
- System Capacity Charge
- Wastewater Capacity Fee*
- Front Foot Charges*
- Contaminated Soils*
- Account Fee
- Annexation Fees*
More information about new water service costs.
The cost to install a 1" meter for Dual Service at a 3/4" domestic demand to serve a single-family residence in West Oakland under paved conditions would be calculated as follows:
System Capacity Charge
|Wastewater Capacity Fee||$2,950|
System Capacity Charge
The System Capacity Charge pays for the applicant's share of capital facilities including those that serve the entire water system.
New water service regulations
The following regulations are associated with new water service and should be reviewed prior to submitting your application:
- Water Conservation Review
- Backflow Prevention Program
- Requirements for Buildings of Three Stories or Less
- Private Sewer Lateral Program
- Contaminated Soils
More information regarding Regulations.
Contact EBMUD to schedule an appointment if you have questions about your project. Let us help you avoid unnecessary delays.
Contact UsEBMUD New Business Office
375 - 11th Street, MS 104
Oakland, CA 94607-4240
Business hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For water pressure information: 510-287-1842
For questions about backflow prevention: 510-287-0874