Oakland, May 2, 2023
EBMUD celebrates 100 years of safe, reliable water
Events this month will celebrate the role of water in supporting the East Bay’s public health, economy and environment.
OAKLAND - In May, the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) completes 100 years of proud service providing clean, safe, reliable water to families, cities and businesses across Alameda and Contra Costa counties. At the turn of a century of service, EBMUD’s investment in infrastructure and new technologies prepares us and the region to meet the challenges ahead, from climate change to seismic risks, and more.
To celebrate our 100th birthday and thank our 1.4 million customers for their ongoing support, this month EBMUD will host events and unique collaborations to highlight our commitments to the diverse communities we serve, to the infrastructure we maintain, and to the sustainability of our work. EBMUD will continue to share the history of the water system and the people who built it with the future release of special projects.
“As part of this historic moment, EBMUD recognizes our dedicated staff and those whose foresight, sacrifice and tremendous efforts created a system that we have used nonstop for 100 years,” said General Manager Clifford Chan. “We must also take this time to thank our customers who support our work to protect public health and safeguard our natural resources. Please join our celebration.”
Events: May 21- 23, 2023
- Sunday, May 21 – EBMUD 100th Birthday Party and Community Fair: Join EBMUD from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. for a community fair at Lake Temescal in Oakland, one of the East Bay’s original water sources. The fair is free admission with free shuttle service from Rockridge and MacArthur BART stations, and will feature entertainment, a kids zone, a beer and wine garden to benefit EBMUD’s Water Lifeline, and more. Media advisory to come.
- Monday, May 22 - Time Capsule Burial: EBMUD invites dignitaries, special guests, and the press to the corner of 21st and Adeline streets in Oakland, the location of EBMUD’s original headquarters, for a time capsule ceremony. Media advisory to come.
- Tuesday, May 23 – Board of Directors meeting: Join EBMUD staff and officials on the first day of EBMUD’s second century of service for a commemorative meeting of the governing board. Media advisory to come.
Collaborations: Drake’s Brewing Co., Oaklandish
- Drake’s Brewing Co. – Water Wings East Bay Lager is a limited-release beer highlighting our shared commitment to water quality, sustainability, and community. A portion of the proceeds will support Water Lifeline. The beer will be available at select retailers. Press release to come.
- Oaklandish – Exclusive centennial T-shirts will raise funds for Water Lifeline. Available while supplies last. Press release to come.
Special projects: Film, flipbook, lobby
- Centennial film – A film chronicling EBMUD’s story featuring interviews, historical and modern-day footage of water operations, and priorities for the future. Coming July 2023.
- Centennial flipbook – A digital presentation of EBMUD’s timeline, from establishment in 1923 to today. Coming July 2023.
- Lobby – A reimagination of the public lobby of EBMUD’s Administration Building, 375 11th Street, Oakland, will invite visitors to explore the world of water. Coming December 2023.
The East Bay Municipal Utility District has a proud history of providing high-quality drinking water for 1.4 million customers in Alameda and Contra Costa counties. EBMUD’s wastewater system serves 740,000 customers and helps protect the ecosystem of San Francisco Bay. EBMUD is a not-for-profit public agency established in 1923.