Until further notice, the following trail access restrictions are in effect due to storm-related conditions.
- Access to the Bear Creek Trail from the Bear Creek Staging Area is closed.
- Access to the Pinole Valley section of the Bay Area Ridge Trail from Alhambra Valley Road is closed.
- Access to the de la Veaga trail is closed at Camino Pablo and Siesta Valley.
Please check back for updates or call Watershed & Recreation staff at
Report trail problems here.
Shimmering lakes, wooded glens and colorful flowers can be enjoyed along 80 miles of EBMUD trails in the East Bay. These hiking and horseback-riding paths wind through 27,000 acres of open space. EBMUD provides parking at five staging areas and stocks water on the trails for horses.
EBMUD carefully manages watershed lands to protect water quality - so please, follow use rules and have your permit with you.
How to purchase trail use permits
Permits cost $3.00/day, $10.00/1 year, $20.00/3 years, $30.00/5 years. Trail permit holders can take members of their immediate family and 3 guests. Permits are not transferable.
- Online: Purchase and print trail use permits online.
- By mail: Download an application and mail it with your payment to EBMUD.
- In person: Pick up an application in person at our Watershed Headquarters in Orinda 925-254-3778 or 510-287-0459 and various EBMUD locations or other community locations.
Daily permits must be purchased in person at either Watershed Headquarters in Orinda (Monday-Friday) or at Lafayette Reservoir Recreation Area (open 7 days a week).
To apply for a Trail Leader permit, you must be endorsed for EBMUD Trail Leader Permits before submitting your application. Endorser groups include hiking clubs, horsemen's associations, and various other groups.