Keep your family and home safe
Be wary of unexpected visitors at your door or suspicious phone calls from potential utility impostors. Follow these recommendations to protect yourself and your family.
On the phone
EBMUD has received reports from customers who are being phoned by individuals pretending to be EBMUD representatives. The imposters threaten to shut off water service unless a payment is made immediately at a local pay station.
- Remember, EBMUD provides past-due notices in writing before service is shut off for nonpayment.
- If you suspect a caller is impersonating an EBMUD employee, hang up and call EBMUD anytime at 1-866-403-2683. A customer service representative can confirm the status of your account and can direct you to our payment options.
- If you have received a call of this nature and believe your are the victim of fraud, contact local police.
At the door
EBMUD maintenance employees fixing a leaky pipeline or making other repairs on your block will never ask to enter your home, but they may knock on your door to notify you of a temporary water outage or to ask you to move your vehicle if it is blocking access.
- EBMUD employees visiting your home for a plumbing inspection, water conservation audit or tap water test may ask to enter, but these visits are always pre-arranged with customers. If this visit is not scheduled or if you feel suspicious, do not open the door.
Call EBMUD at 1-866-403-2683 to confirm the identity of the person at your door. If you feel you are in danger, call 911.
- If an EBMUD employee is at your doorstep and requests to come inside your home, ask to see their work identification through a window or the door's eyehole and ask what is the purpose of the visit. EBMUD employees always carry identification with their name, photo and employee number visible. Many, but not all, are uniformed. All maintenance crews fixing a leaky pipeline on your block drive EBMUD vehicles.