Don't wait for your next high bill. Get real-time notifications of water waste!
What is the FlowMeter Pilot Rebate Program?
The FlowMeter Pilot Rebate Program promotes water conservation and water saving opportunities by encouraging the use of flow measuring devices which gives customers information about their water use, potential leaks, and incidences of high water use. While your EBMUD water bill gives you water usage information every one or two months, this program offers rebates for a newer set of internet-connected flow sensing technologies that can monitor usage in near real-time. These new devices are known as flowmeters. This program is open to all EBMUD customers.
What is a flowmeter?
Flowmeters measure water use through your plumbing. These new flowmeters report water use and send customizable alerts through a convenient web portal or mobile app. Customers can see their water use down to a fraction of a gallon and usage as frequent as every minute. Internet-connected flowmeters can help keep you informed of overall water use, potential high water use, or suspected leaks. This can help alert you to leaks that could be damaging your home or high water use that could drive up your water bill.
Some flowmeters can be installed right on the District’s existing water meter, but some must be installed directly in-line in water pipes. In-line flowmeters can be used to monitor specific water usages such as your irrigation or indoor use. In-line flowmeters typically require minor plumbing changes to be installed. On-meter flowmeters are typically easier to install. However, they must meet requirements in the On-Meter Flowmeter Participant Agreement.
How much is our rebate?
- EBMUD offers a rebate of 50 percent of the total cost of the flowmeter purchase (excluding taxes and installation) - up to $200 per device. The rebate is limited to one-device per service address, including other submeters offered by separate rebates. If applicable, the rebate can cover up to two-years of pre-paid service. Multiple rebates may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- EBMUD will issue a rebate credit on the customer water bill within 8 weeks after verification of flowmeter installation and completion of required forms.
Tax Notice: All residential rebates that, individually or in combination, total $600 or more in a tax year require submittal of a W-9 form to the District prior to payment. All personal information provided within the W-9 are kept confidential in accordance with the Privacy Act. If your total rebate amount is $600 or more, you will receive a 1099 form to comply with Internal Revenue Service requirements. The determination of whether your rebate is taxable or not may depend on several variables. We recommend contacting your tax professional for more information.
1. Eligible flowmeters must:
- Measure at least hourly and report water usage on a web portal.
- Have a web portal with the ability for EBMUD to access consumption data.
- Meet requirements in the On-Meter Flowmeter Participant Agreement if the flowmeter is attached to the EBMUD meter.
- Be designed for at least two years of continuous operation.
- Be installed on an active EBMUD water service location.
Sample product lines are listed below. Please check to confirm selected products meet EBMUD requirements before purchasing. Other devices will be added to this list as they become available
- Flume (on meter)
- Flo by MOEN
- Phyn Plus
- Rachio wireless flow meter
- Hydropoint Water Compass (on meter)
2. The flowmeter must be installed on an active EBMUD water service location.
3. Property owner agrees to keep the flowmeter installed for a minimum of 2 years. If the device is removed or becomes unusable for whatever reason, or the account becomes inactive, the owner shall reimburse EBMUD a prorated amount of the conservation incentive, based on a 24-month commitment.
4. If the flowmeter is installed on the EBMUD meter, it must not interfere with the operation of the EBMUD meter as described in the On-Meter Flowmeter Participant Agreement.
How to apply
Step 1. Submit completed application for approval prior to the start of the scheduled project. EBMUD will review application and contact you within approximately 3 weeks.
Step 2. For on-meter installation, applicant must also complete the On-Meter Flowmeter Participant Agreement.
Step 3. After receiving application approval, complete flowmeter installation.
Step 4. Call EBMUD at 866-403-2683 to schedule project inspection, and provide EBMUD access to web portal.
Step 5. Send EBMUD original receipts within 90 days of application.
Step 6. EBMUD will provide residential applicants with combined rebates that total more than $600 a W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. The completed form must be returned to EBMUD.
Step 7. EBMUD will issue a rebate credit on the customer water bill within 8 weeks after verification of flowmeter installation and if applicable, completion of W-9 form.
Frequently asked questions
No, the flowmeter program is intended to provide an incentive to customers to install new flowmeters and is not retroactive. Projects underway or completed prior to receiving EBMUD approval are not eligible.
Any flowmeter that meets the requirements described above and on the front page of the application form.
All residential rebates that, individually or in combination, total $600 or more in a tax year require submittal of a W-9 form to the District prior to payment. All personal information provided within the W-9 is kept confidential in accordance with the Privacy Act.
If your total rebate amount is $600 or more, you will receive a 1099 form to comply with Internal Revenue Service requirements. The determination of whether your rebate is taxable or not may depend on several variables. We recommend that you contact your tax professional.
The limit is up to $200/device per account. Multiple devices will be considered on a case-by-case basis.