EBMUD's Customized water conservation rebates encourage businesses, industries and multi-family dwellings to be smart about water use.
Rebates help offset the initial costs of installing water-saving hardware, equipment and systems. Rebate amounts are calculated based on estimated water savings to ensure cost-effectiveness.
Rebates are good for purchases made January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018 and are not retroactive.
Customers classified by EBMUD as businesses, manufacturing, government facilities, multi-family dwellings (5 units or more) and non-profit activities are eligible for this program.
Customers must participate in a water conservation survey that identifies water conservation measures and rebate opportunities, and submit a “Customized Rebate” application before starting improvements. EBMUD water conservation staff determines eligibility. The following conservation measures may be eligible:
- Installation of proven and reliable water-saving hardware or systems.
- For complex or untested measures, feasibility must be verifiable.
- The volume of existing water use for the hardware, equipment, or process to which the conservation measure applies must be reliably estimated.
- Expected water savings from a hardware installation, retrofit, or system modification must also be reliably estimated.
- Costs associated with the measure must be reliably estimated.
- Implementation of a measure must reduce existing levels of demand and/or future demand for potable EBMUD water.
- Installation of High Efficiency Toilets (1.28gpf or lower) and High Efficiency Urinals (0.125gpf) may be done through this rebate program. A minimum of 5 fixtures must be upgraded at a physical location/site/account. Partial retrofit project (with a minimum of 5 fixtures) may be approved be at the discretion of the District. If more than 7 toilet/fixtures are being replaced, the District reserves the right to do a pre-inspection as a condition of the rebate.
Conservation measures that are not eligible: measures that a) rely primarily on behavior change (such as education or employee awareness programs) and do not involve the installation of water-saving hardware, equipment, or systems; b) are routine maintenance procedures; or c) are installed before application approval.
Rebate amounts are calculated for each proposed conservation measure based on estimated water savings and a current rate of $0.75 cents per billing unit (100 cubic feet or 748 gallons) of water saved. The payback period for each water conservation measure must be two years or more. The actual rebate amount may incorporate an estimated project/measure life expectancy. Rebates will not exceed half the installed cost of an approved measure. Taxes and installation (labor) will not be considered as part of the total overall cost of the project. District staff will calculate rebate amount.
Note: This rebate program will not rebate items which have an ROI of less than two years or more than 50 percent of the cost of the retrofit item.
- Complete the application. Eligible customers must complete, sign, and submit the EBMUD application form below. EBMUD will review applications for completeness and will evaluate measures based on program criteria. Applications that require more information will be returned with comments attached.
- Mail Application. Review the application check list. Mail application and receipt(s) to:
P.O. Box 24055, MS 109
Oakland, CA 94623-1055
- Schedule a water conservation survey with an EBMUD representative. This free service, tailored to the size and nature of your business/site, determines estimated water savings, feasibility, and potential rebate amounts.
- Sign and return a Participation Agreement. EBMUD will send approved applicants a notice of approval and a Participation Agreement indicating the rebate amount and the time frame for completion of upgrades. A signed Participation Agreement must be returned to EBMUD. Rebate funds will be reserved for the duration of the Participation Agreement. Extensions to the Participation Agreement may be requested in writing, and approved requests will be confirmed in writing by EBMUD.
- Notify EBMUD of completion. Once an upgrade is completed, participant must submit an itemized list of costs for design, equipment purchase, and installation and copies of all receipts.
- Schedule installation inspection. EBMUD staff will conduct a brief site visit to verify satisfactory installation of the approved upgrades. For smaller rebates and simpler technologies, the installation inspection requirement may be waived.
- Receive your rebate. Once the above steps are completed, rebates will be issued in the form of a credit on the EBMUD water metered account(s). Rebate procedures and amounts are subject to change.
- See your water savings. EBMUD will track water consumption to monitor actual water savings resulting from implementing the conservation measure(s). EBMUD may contact participants to better quantify actual savings, and follow-up site visits may be needed in some cases.
Note: The rebate application is a fillable PDF. Please fill it out, print, sign and mail it in.
Custom rebate application form