Find out what happens after dirty water from your toilet, shower and laundry goes down the drain--take a tour of EBMUD’s Wastewater Treatment Plant.
We offer free two hour tours for East Bay residents and students in middle and high school. Learn how we keep the San Francisco Bay clean by treating dirty water and what you can do to protect the environment. Tours are offered during the months of March to October.
Resident tours are offered two Saturdays a month starting at 9:30 a.m. Schedule a tour.
School tours are offered on the first Wednesday and last Thursday of the month starting at 9:30 a.m. Schedule a tour.
Reservation priority is given to those schools in EBMUD's wastewater service area. To request a tour on a date other than what is available, please call 510-287-1651.
- The plant is located at 2020 Wake Avenue in Oakland (near the I-80/I-580 interchange). Map and directions below.
- Tours are available for groups of up to 25 people.
- For reservations greater than 6, call 510-287-1651 during business hours.
- School groups require one adult for every eight students.
- All attendees shall carry valid photo IDs.
- Attendees shall not take photographs during the tour.
- Consuming food and beverages while on the tour is prohibited.
- Closed-toe shoes are required.
- Children under age 10 are not permitted.
- We are unable to accommodate late arrivals once the tour begins.
Waiver form required
Download and complete the waiver below. Each individual should bring a copy of the completed form on the day of the tour.