Recycled Water Truck Program
To help save limited potable water supplies, EBMUD provides recycled water at no charge to trucks for construction and other non-potable purposes. The Recycled Water Truck Program supplies clean, safe, disinfected recycled water for allowed uses like dust control, soil compaction, power washing, decorative fountains, landscape irrigation and ponds, street washing, and sewer flushing. To learn about other allowable uses of recycled water please see "Recycled Water Uses Allowed in CA" below.
Recycled water for trucks is available at EBMUD's main wastewater treatment plant in West Oakland and in North Richmond. Recycled water from this program may be used only in EBMUD's service area. Customers interested in participating must apply for a Recycled Water Use Permit. Please:
- Apply in person, at EBMUD's New Business Office on the 1st Floor of the Administration Building, 375 11th Street, Oakland
- Or download the form below from EBMUD's website or call the Recycled Water Truck Program Manager at (510) 287-1986 or call (510) 287-7011 to request an application form be sent to you.
Completed applications should be returned to EBMUD. You may mail, email or fax the form as noted below:
- Tank trucks must be equipped with an air gap.
- Truck owners must show proof of vehicle liability insurance and worker's compensation insurance (copies must be attached to permit application, with photocopies, PDFs, and scanned documents acceptable).
- Truck owners must show proof of valid truck registration (copy for each truck must be attached to permit application).
- Before EBMUD can fill their trucks for the first time, customers/drivers are required to attend a brief on-site training in order to learn about using the filling station and the proper handling and use of recycled water. EBMUD's Recycled Water Truck Program Manager schedules the training and informs customers of the date, time, and location.
- If a company has more than one truck driver who will use this program, all drivers must attend an on-site training, and read and sign the Recycled Water Truck Program Guidelines below.
- Once the customer/driver completes the on-site orientation and training, EBMUD will issue a signed Recycled Water Use Permit along with magnetic recycled water signs to affix to each of the customer's trucks.
- Other requirements and details about the filling stations will be reviewed at the on-site training.
Recycled Water FAQs for Construction & Other Workers
See below for our Recycled Water Frequently Asked Questions for Construction & Other Workers.
Several agencies offer recycled water through a truck/purple hydrant program in the East Bay. View list of East Bay recycled water truck programs below.
The California Department of Public Health has approved this program which operates under EBMUD's existing master recycled water permit shown below. Customers must certify in the Recycled Water Truck Program permit that they have read the applicable rules and regulations in the master recycled water permit (Order 96-011) and agree to abide by them.