West of Hills Northern Pipelines
EBMUD is planning to build about 8.5 miles of new 48-inch and 36-inch water transmission pipelines. These transmission pipelines move large amounts of water around EBMUD's service area and are different from smaller distribution pipes that directly serve your neighborhood.
The project's four major segments will ensure continued reliable water service to customers in north Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, Richmond, San Pablo, Pinole, Hercules, and the unincorporated communities of West Contra Costa County, including Crockett. Design and construction of each of the four large pipelines will occur separately over the course of a decade with construction of the first project beginning in 2015.
The project will:
- correct existing deficiencies
- improve operations
- enhance system reliability and water quality challenges
- meet projected water demands through 2040
- facilitate repair and replacement of aging infrastructure
EBMUD completed an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) to assess the impacts of the project and identify mitigation measures. The Draft and Final EIR are available below. Each pipeline segment is noted below. You can click to see a map with the alignment for each preferred pipeline route.
- Berkeley - Wildcat Pipeline
- El Cerrito/Richmond - Wildcat Pipeline and Central Pressure Zone Pipeline
- Richmond/San Pablo - Central Pressure Zone Pipeline
Workplan and Schedule
The Final EIR was certified on December 10, 2013. Design is scheduled for 2014 and construction is expected to start in 2015.